Steering the College
College governing bodies are technically termed “Corporations” and are responsible for guiding and monitoring the strategic direction of the college. The Corporation bears the ultimate legal responsibility for college activities.
The Corporation works closely with the Principal and Senior Management Team, who are responsible for the day-to-day management of the college.
As governing body, the role of the Corporation is to:
- determine the College’s mission, vision and ethos
- approve the annual budget and 3 year financial plan
- ensure solvency, financial probity and safeguarding of assets
- approve retention and achievement targets, raising standards and monitoring academic achievement
- set a framework of pay and conditions for all staff
The Board of Governors believes that the purpose of the college is to:
- open up opportunities that will enable students to secure a purposeful and rewarding future
- ensure that students leave us with skills that are valued by employers locally, regionally, nationally and internationally
Members of the Corporation sit on the following committees:
- Finance and General Purposes
- Curriculum and Quality
- Strategy and Governance
Openness and Transparency
For copies of minutes prior to the last academic year, please contact Ruth Reavley, Clerk to the Corporation Governors at: Ruth.Reavley@abingdon-witney.ac.uk
Abingdon & Witney Corporation Board is always interested to hear from people interested in its work, and in forthcoming vacancies. Those with an interest are invited to contact the Clerk to the Corporation Governors, Ruth Reavley, on 01235 216369 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Board meets typically four times a year (October, December, March, late June/early July), usually at 6pm for 2 hours. The person appointed would also join one Committee, meeting also three or four times a year, for 2 hours, usually starting 6pm.
The Board is keen to recruit the best possible representation of the catchment, bearing in mind the skills and experience balance it has identified as being necessary for its strategic role. Applicants who are from black and minority ethnic communities are encouraged to apply. The Board conforms to the College’s aim to be an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Further information about the role can be found here.
The Board’s Recruitment and Selection Policy can be found here.
An application form can be found here.
For an informal discussion, please contact the Clerk to the Corporation Governors, Ruth Reavley, on 01235 216369, email@example.com.
Meet the Governors
Abingdon and Witney College’s Corporation consists of 13 Governors drawn from the local community and including representation by staff and students.