Steering the College
College governing bodies are technically termed “Corporations” and are responsible for guiding and monitoring the strategic direction of the college. The Corporation bears the ultimate legal responsibility for college activities.
The Corporation works closely with the Principal and Senior Management Team, who are responsible for the day-to-day management of the college.
As governing body, the role of the Corporation is to:
- determine the College’s mission, vision and ethos
- approve the annual budget and 3 year financial plan
- ensure solvency, financial probity and safeguarding of assets
- approve retention and achievement targets, raising standards and monitoring academic achievement
- set a framework of pay and conditions for all staff
The Board of Governors believes that the purpose of the college is to:
- open up opportunities that will enable students to secure a purposeful and rewarding future
- ensure that students leave us with skills that are valued by employers locally, regionally, nationally and internationally
Members of the Corporation sit on the following committees:
- Finance and General Purposes
- Curriculum and Quality
- Strategy and Governance
Openness and Transparency
For copies of minutes prior to the last academic year, please contact Ruth Reavley, Clerk to the Corporation Governors at: Ruth.Reavley@abingdon-witney.ac.uk
Abingdon & Witney Corporation Board is always interested to hear from people interested in its work. In particular, the Board would like to hear from people with a background in FE and HE leadership, estates and property, entrepreneurship, or knowledge of Oxfordshire and its economic, social and political character.
Those with an interest are invited to contact the Clerk to the Corporation Governors, Ruth Reavley, on 01235 216369 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Board meets typically four times a year (October, December, March, late June/early July). The person appointed would also join one Committee, meeting also three or four times a year. Governors also have opportunities to engage with the College through the Link Governor scheme, and through participation at College events.
The Board is keen to recruit the best possible representation of the catchment, bearing in mind the skills and experience balance it has identified as being necessary for its strategic role. Women, and applicants who are from black and minority ethnic communities are encouraged to apply. The Board conforms to the College’s aim to be an Equal Opportunities Employer.
- Application Form
- Role Description
- General Information
- Role and Capabilities Statement
- Recruitment and Selection Policy
Meet the Governors
Abingdon and Witney College’s Corporation consists of 15 Governors drawn from the local community and including representation by staff and students.